Tuesday, March 22, 2011

One Step at a Time

I started this blog for a few reasons:
  1. To help people improve their lives one step at a time through healthy living. 
  2. Share my personal struggles
  3. Connect with others
  4. For my sports psychology class
Fairly typical Midwestern meal.
So good!!
What is healthy living?  Healthy living, to me, is living a balanced lifestyle- proper nutrition and exercise.  I know it sounds corny but trust me, it really can make all the difference in the world!  I used to love to hate this concept.  After all, I loved eating like a fat kid and exercise was something I was forced to do as conditioning to my sport of choice in high school.  Or maybe I tried to blame it on my geographic location growing up as a child; the Midwest isn't exactly top notch healthy.  I was a rural kid, the closest health club was an hour away, we love live to eat, and most people felt they got enough exercise throughout the day so they didn't need to spend the extra time going to exercise. (Click on picture to enlarge).

Sunset view of my backyard.
This blog is for those individuals who just need a little kick to get started or my homies in the boonies that don't have the access or the funds to proper health clubs. I plan on giving tips on how to get started exercising, motivational ques along the way, specific stretches and exercises, and even some nutritional fun along the way; however it will be focused on getting you up and moving.  As my big brother likes to say, "It doesn't matter what you do as long as you do something!"

Brings me to my next thought, why is my opinion valid,what gives me the right to tell people how to live?  Here's the thing virtual friends- I don't want to tell you how to live your life, I want to give you the tools to be the best version of yourself (lower disease risk, more time with those who matter).  I'm an aspiring oncologist, who has studied Health and Exercise Science, Sports Medicine the past four years at Colorado State University.  I want to learn more about Public Health specifically PH-Nutrition and ultimately help patients and their families battle cancer.  I'm a science nerd and a wannabe health junkie..I'm getting there one step at a time...

No comments:

Post a Comment