Saturday, March 26, 2011

Personal Struggles

Source: http://www.istockphoto.com/
In my first post I mentioned that I was a wanna be health junkie; although I love health and fitness it has always been hard to stick with it.  For whatever reason, living healthy was a struggle.  I always thought you instantly had to be running miles and miles, completely cut out food groups, have a personal trainer, and live a restricted lifestyle.  Growing up I was always the 'bigger' one of the group; I was taller and heavier than most of my friends and some days it would really bother me.  I believe one of the main reasons enjoying exercise and living a balance lifestyle was hard is because it wasn't fun and I wasn't doing it for ME.  I quit dancing because I felt I didn't belong because of my body type and thought playing sports would be fun.  It was fun for a while but I discovered I was running, playing sports, and dieting to fit someone's or society's mold of healthy, pretty, popular, and not to make myself happy. 


Source: http://www.vagabondish.com/
 In the last few month, I started running for something I believed in: myself and my future.  I want to live a long and healthy life; decrease my relatively high risk for developing high blood pressure, heart disease, and cancer.  I also wanted to better manage a few disorders I currently have.  I signed up for my 1st half marathon to raise money and awareness for blood cancers as well as remembering and honoring my Grandmother Dorothy who passed away from this disease.  It hasn't always been easy, but with support from others and a belief in yourself- it gets easier every day.  I feel in love with running because I enjoy it; it is almost therapeutic. 

Today's song comes from Adele.  Love, love her; this song is called Rolling In The Deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment